Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Walker/Wisconsin Project

The next project for Drawing III has been started and the idea is...the current situation in Wisconsin with Governor Walker.  Interesting and dramatic for sure.  I know that a lot of people are really upset about this and I completely understand their anger/frustration.  The situation is not/will not be good for a lot of people because of Walker's bill.  I see people protesting, I hear them talking about it and I am deeply sad for them but for myself, I'm not overly upset.  I know the situation is bad and I know that in a year or two, we're all probably going to feel the effects of this bill in a really bad way. 

Overall, there are two things that keep going through my head when I think about this situation.  First, if this bill is passed and put into practice, what will the situation be like for our state, the families and the world in 5 to 10 years?  What are the repercussions of this bill?  Is it really worth it?  To me, it's highly likely that we do something now and not feel the real effects of it until it's too late.  Second, I am very weary of anything the government does.  I don't believe a word they say and I wouldn't trust them to use my toilet.  I'm really never surprised when I hear things like this about the government. 

So yeah, I wish this wasn't happening.  It seems as if there's a lot of injustice going on right now.  But because I don't feel too extremely connected with the situation, I wish to make light of the situation, because I can.  I haven't done a funny piece in a while.  The day that we received the assignment, I had Beetlejuice on the brain.  I'm not sure why.  In the movie, when Beetlejuice's name is repeated 3 times, he either gets bigger or he gets smaller.  My first thought was, "I bet a ton of people in Wisconsin would love to say 'Walker, Walker, Walker' and just make him disappear".  From there, I've thought and come up with some sketches.  To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your concern for the future. I feel like the recent events have created new paths for our legislation to take to further remove systems that are in place to protect peoples rights. What is going to happen as a result of this bill that has not been foreseen? How will our families, friends, and daily lives be affected by these drastic legislative changes? Most of all, will either side look back and say it was worth it? You make a lot of great points. The fact that you aren't surprised buy these events says a lot about the connotations people are have towards the government, I think that the way people feel toward the government is surpassing the level of "balance of power," but for reasons based on the governments imperfection. Imperfections in an government or anything are inevitable, our choice is in which imperfections we correct. Public outcry is a red flag to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading what you said, all I could think about was the play I recently saw at Mabel Tainter Theater "All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten". There was a scene called Problems and Inconveniences. Basically the stage was set with 2 workers at the same company in the 1960s. One was a college age kid, the other an older Jewish man who had been through Auschwitz Concentration Camp. After listening to three days of this college guy ranting about his rights and unions the Jewish man finally speaks out and says something like, "Is your house burned to the ground? Is your wife alive and your children safe? You need to learn the difference between a problem and an inconvenience. Life is an inconvenience. Life gets lumpy." Then the narrator to this scene says, "We all need to learn the difference between the different lumps of life: lumps in the oatmeal, lumps in the throat, or lumps in the breast."

    ReplyDelete