Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The unexpected inspiration - music + art

Things change and things happen that you never thought could.  You're walking along the sidewalk, the same sidewalk you walk every day to your favorite lunch spot, when all of a sudden your foot is submerged into ice cold muddy water.  You never saw it coming and then so soon it's there and gone with nothing to be done to change it.  This aspect of surprise can be upsetting, especially in this case, and it can be exciting.

My entire life as an artist so far, I've always found comfort in recreating an image infront of me.  Taking the imagined/"only viewed in my head" things and putting them onto paper was impossible.  I saw some artists do it and I was jealous but I just couldn't do it.  I didn't want to keep trying just to be disappointed so I gave up a long time ago.  And then I got to know me.  I tapped into my imagination.  I moved into my head.  I shut my eyes and I just observed.  I didn't try to change anything.  I existed and I experienced.  That's exactly how this project was for me.  I sat down, I closed my eyes and I asked myself, Sandy how do you feel?  What do you see?  And then I picked up my art stuff and I began to create.  I didn't know what to expect  and I honestly had doubt that I could do it.  Unlike stepping into a puddle, this was completely exciting and not at all upsetting. 

As of rightnow, I am extremely happy with how the project turned out.  I am not completely done but I will be soon.  Reflecting back on the project, I am most surprised by one thing: how well I was able to connect with this space I've created in my head.  I do believe that when a person's mind, body and soul are in unison, beautiful and divine things can happen.  I can honestly say that my mind, body and soul are not always in unison but I did expereince a solid 20-30 minutes of that during this project that completely took me away into my being. 

I love music so when I hear a song that connects with who I am, I am lost in it and I go into what I call "a trance".  I was walking home from class one night and the below song cam e on my ipod and I lost it.  I went into my head, I went into my drawing and I felt a connection of mind, body and soul.  So the next time I sat down to work on this project, I put on my ipod, I played this song and I disappeared.  It was beautiful. 

Strobe - Deadmau5

No comments:

Post a Comment