Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Releasing the Past to Heal the Present

"Do whatever you want. This project is self-directed" - music to an artist's ears.  When we hear that phrase, it's like giving us the toy we've always wanted. Our eyes light up, our mind starts racing and we cannot wait to make a decision and start our next piece of art. 
The last project for my drawing 3 class was self-directed. So I decided to do a drawing of a figure using color along with writing a poem.  This combination helps me to release my past/past experiences in a way that is very healthy and effective for me.  I love taking something that is deep within me and letting it out through art.
So I wrote a poem, chose a photo that best represented what was in my head and I started.  First I painted the words to the poem in the background.  The viewer can barely see the words but they can make out some words if they really get close.  On the body, I chose to do the mark making in a way that it made the body feel like it had life to it - something is reverberating out of the figure.   She is letting go of what's inside/what's bothering her.  Along with this, I had the face and shoulders melting down towards the bottom of the page to also show a part of her melting away. 

Here's a part of the poem that goes along with this piece:

"...

My soul will always remember

What you were
What you did
How you looked
How you smelled
How you tasted

But it’s time to move on
Move onto a new equation
Made of love
Made of joy
This sweet release
That is mine
I thank you
And I go
No more wonder
No more struggle
Goodbye love
Goodbye"

Releasing the Past to Heal the Present - Acrylic, Chalk pastel, Charcoal 

No comments:

Post a Comment