Sunday, February 20, 2011

Looking back...


Looking back at this mapping project, I am amazed at how different it appears now compared to how I saw it when it was first introduced to our class.  We heard of this map project, we learned of other artists, we brainstormed ideas, we looked deep within ourselves and then we sketched.  This has become a reoccurring process for me as an artist.  So much research and thought goes into a project.  Sometimes it gets overwhelming and frustrating when all that’s desired is a “disappear”-session with art.  As human beings we have all these things that go on in our daily lives, both within us and without us:  family events, friends, work, bodily functions, memories, the future, school, etc.  That’s a lot to process.  Uniquely, as artists, we take all that stuff and we tend to “deal with it” through art of some sort.  We put in our head phones, set up a place to draw/create and we disappear for hours at a time until we feel better inside.  Life is filled with a series of coping mechanisms…some are more satisfying than others.  Because of this project, I’ve realized that art, for me, has the ability to sooth me in three different levels.

An immediate release: let’s say I’m really upset, something just happened and I need to feel better immediately.  I pick up a piece of paper, a big chunk of charcoal and I just start drawing.  There’s nothing in my head but frustration and emotions.  When I’m done, most of the time I don’t know what I drew but most likely I feel better – I’m ready to face the world again.

An average release:  this would be a well thought out project but with not much research behind it.  It usually has some sort of meaning attached to it from deep within me/from my life.  When I’m done I feel a sense of relief and when I look at it I can smile. 

Complete art therapy:  this is exactly what this project has meant for me.  We researched for weeks, we talked about it all, I went home and talked about it with my friend Heather, I came back to class and discussed it/researched more, I did sketches, sat down with my friend Heather to go over the sketches, made my artistic decisions, bought supplies and started when I felt healthiest to start.  I put all that I am into this project and I’m happy to say I’m not only satisfied with the outcome, but I’m also satisfied with how I feel inside about what I chose to map.  I let out what was within me.

So it seems as if the more effort I put into the pre-drawing process, the more rewards comes in the end.  This isn’t the first project I’ve felt this with.  Yes, it’s a little daunting but the outcome is so inspiring that I can only hope to continue on this path so that, maybe, this whole process will become more second nature.  

Woke up from a dream and this is what I JUST HAD to draw...An Immediate Release for sure. 

2 comments:

  1. I love how you have analyzed your process in this project. You really broke down what was going on around you into something that was easy to understand. I now have a sense of the feelings you were going through in relation to your processes, both therapeutically and emotionally. I think it is great that you know how to clearly convey how you feel and what you have learned, because it helps others have the same revelations about their own work. I feel encourage to just start drawing without notice or reason. To draw for the sake of drawing and gaining any sort of "release" that you expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a writer and a musician (or at least put up a good front that I am). I read the controversial book "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" and found a quote inside by Amy Chua's eldest daughter Sophia who is a pianist. I feel the same way about my playing and writing: "Playing for an audience is like giving blood; it leaves you feeling empty, and a bit light-headed. And when it's all over, your piece isn't just yours anymore." Thanks for sharing your artwork.

    ReplyDelete